The Oakland Press, a subsidiary of MediaNews Group, is seeking a Multimedia Reporter to join the team! MediaNews Group offers news reporting and third party advertising and marketing opportunities through its multi-platform products which include: web, mobile, tablet, and print. We are one of the largest media groups in the U.S., serving high-value audiences and connecting advertisers to them. MNG publishes award-winning content (49 Pulitzers) that amasses and engages a nationwide audience via 800 multi-media platforms including web, mobile, social, and print. We are transforming the news industry.
This multimedia reporter is responsible for the speed, accuracy and quality of local information gathered and reported and disseminated in digital and print editions of The Oakland Press and in MediaNews Group publications across Michigan. This journalist is responsible for creating content, whether it is covering breaking news or creating longer-term enterprise news and feature content. Schedule is Monday through Friday, with some weekends as assigned; hours and work days will vary.
- Gathers information and writes journalistically sound news elements for use in all media platforms, existing and future.
- Learns and employs all techniques for effective storytelling and beat development across all platforms.
- Posts frequent and incremental posts throughout the day on various platforms.
- Understands and engages in story aggregation and posting of links.
- Treats the audience as partners and engages them in developing content.
- Monitors audience and community feedback, and constructively interacts in traditional ways and on existing and emerging digital platforms.
- Employs various means for monitoring audience interest and competitors’ posting on your community or topic, including setting up Google alerts, Twitter and RSS feeds.
- Maintains communication with supervising editor and the production hub, when necessary, and uses Google content budget documents to keep everyone informed about plans and progress.
- Understands and uses hardware, software and cloud-based equipment and systems for direct-to-web production and engagement, including posting photographs, stories, databases and short videos.
- Works remotely using laptops and smart phones to create content and develop sources.
- Uses audience metrics to shape content and coverage efforts.
- Beats production deadlines.
- Has experience and comfort with significant institutional and cultural change.
- Contributes to a positive culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- Experiments with new digital tools and platforms.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Valid driver's license at time of application.
- Relevant experience news reporting and writing, shooting video, using social media, creating enterprising content.
- Experience covering community beats
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong reporting, writing, organizational and story structure skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks at once.
- Experience using social media platforms personally and professionally.
- Applicants will need to provide information about their social media accounts for a background check.
- Experience creating multimedia content, such as videos and photos, for digital and print publications.
- Ability to tell stories and engage audiences using existing and emerging tools and formats.
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging audiences and communities.
- Ability to work independently and remotely under deadline pressure and to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Understands imperatives of emerging and existing platforms, including web, mobile and print.
- Has a vehicle, a valid driver’s license and the proper insurance coverage, and is capable of driving to assignments as part of work duties.
- MediaNews Group is an equal opportunity employer.