At Starbucks, our mission is to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time. Starbucks Technologists work to achieve this mission through the use of cutting-edge technology delivered to our partners, customers, stores, roasters, and global communities.
At our core, we believe technology is a key enabler for growth and is required for business success in the future. We believe Starbucks must advance its technology resources and think long term to innovate and deliver maximum value for our partners, customers and shareholders. We believe it takes collaboration and partnership to deliver results and we will work across the company to enable sustainable business capabilities- not just fulfill immediate needs.
If you’ve got what it takes to help transform one of the most iconic brands in the world into a lean, efficient and highly automated platform, we’d like to talk to you.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
builds and supports Starbucks Core Retail Software by collaboratively identifying, designing, developing and deploying software to deliver retail & commerce systems that fulfill strategic initiatives and operational improvements.
This is a technical leadership role that requires deep software development expertise, domain proficiency and platform depth. Typical daily activities include requirements analysis, solution design and, most of all, software development. An effective sr. software engineer contributes relevant technical, functional, and process expertise to the team. A successful candidate is proficient with data structures and algorithms with mastery of one or more general purpose programming languages, tools and frameworks.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Communicates highly complex ideas and concepts to non-technical peers and customers
- Ability to establish cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and technology partners
- Support the development team and perform activities to resolve developer issues in a timely and accurate fashion
- Ability to effectively manage and partner with technology vendors to deliver against business objectives
- Conducts research and makes recommendations on standards, frameworks, products, and services
- Ensures application and infrastructure architectural solutions are stable, secure, and compliant with Company standards and practices
- Implements all technologies in accordance with Information Security's guiding principles for highly sensitive data
- Provide high-availability operational support and automate solutions across the environment
- Implements deep telemetry capabilities to provide ongoing success and performance metrics
- Implements service monitoring across all platforms to ensure continuous availability and operational continuity of critical systems
- Upholds company policies, and legal/regulatory requirements, such as PCI
- Implements and maintains system configurations and baselines to support secure application development software control best practices and standards
Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Experience coding using Agile and DevOps engineering practices such as Test-Driven Development, Automated Integration and Performance Testing, Automated Deployment Pipelines, keeping the system in running state (development by incremental changes).
- Effective contribution to implementing automated unit and integration testing and assisted with system and integration testing efforts.
- Experience helping decompose, plan, and estimate small- to medium- sized efforts using agile practices (story-point estimation), commonality and variability analysis.
- Proficient in debugging, profiling, logging and monitoring practices and tools
- Ability to lead technical requirements gathering, technical gap analysis, and contribute to backlog grooming.
- Has experience with incremental development, specifically in evaluating and recommending trade-off decisions when prioritizing user stories, epics and features as well as limiting scope of coding to evolving requirements and priorities.
- Directly engaged in incident resolution and facilitation of cross-functional troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and engagement with vendors for that purpose, where needed.
- For a small to medium domain, manages work intake, workflow, and status using appropriate tools (Issue Tracker, Wiki or equivalent), including backlog grooming, incident handling, enhancements, defects, and deliverables
- Is an effective technical collaborator, able to translate technical topics across platform teams and to understand technical components and capabilities beyond immediate team
- Proficiency with Typescript like Angular/React and CSS, HTML5
- Proficiency with Hybrid Mobile App frameworks like Flutter, Ionic or Xamarin.
- High proficiency developing to a RESTful API back-end using Microsoft Technologies.
- Proficiency with Project and Task Tracking Scrum/Lean project management tools
- Proficiency with Distributed Version Control systems
- Proficiency with NoSQL database solutions
- Proficiency on interfacing with backend cloud services (AWS or Azure)
- Experience with Jenkins CI/CD or ADO Pipeline.
- Experience with responsive user interface design frameworks like Bootstrap, Material Design etc.,
- Experience as a member of teams that support 24x7 production environments
- Experience with Git/GitHub
- Experience with Atlassian Jira and Confluence
- 5+ years of professional industry experience with software development
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or other technical field preferred or equivalent experience
- Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org